Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Great use of the F-Bomb

Wow...let me tell you the story of how I discovered my favorite album. During the Spring of '06 I decided that during finals it would be great to be able to listen to new music all the time. I don't know why I thought this was a good idea because new music usually is distracting, but I decided to take Rhapsody up on their two week trial. I was listening to artists I always heard people talking about but I had never had the chance to check out myself. I remembered a dude from high school, by the name of Jake Hughes (the man has got some good taste), used to talk about this guy Ryan Adams a lot. I decided to listen to his record "Heartbreaker". I didn't pay that close attention to the music I just noticed it was pretty slow and quiet and somber. I listened to it (listened is not really the right word but you know...) once and then went on.

That summer I found I had a gift certificate to a very expensive independent record store in my home town in Connecticut. I decided I should just go in there and use it (the thing was two years old). The problem was it was only for twenty bucks and seeing how most records go for more than twenty bucks in that store I was concerned about being able to get a new record without any extra cash. I went into the store and was just walking around and saw the Ryan Adams bin. I picked up the first record I saw, noticed it was under twenty bucks and purchased that stuff. I popped the record in the car and listened to it. Again on first listen, I wasn't totally impressed. It was a nice CD but it was still slow and at times seemed monotonous, but I loved the rockers and I love the ballad "Come Pick Me Up".

That May I happened to be dropping my little sister off and picking her up at a place thirty minutes away. I took my pops car because it got the best gas mileage and it happened to be the car that I left this new Ryan Adams record in. I ended up listening to the record for about an hour a day four or five days a week. Wow am I thankful for that listening time. I fell in love with this record. Every time I would get home and have a new song stuck in my head.

You might ask what Ryan Adams record is it? There are freaking so many! I didn't notice until later it was the same one I had listened to during finals on Rhapsody...Heartbreaker. So readers, please do yourself a favor and pick up Heartbreaker. It might not grab you on the first listen, but keep listening and I promise you, you will fall in love. One of my best buds picked up the record about the same time I did and were both not immediately grabbed by it, but it is both one of our favorite (or my favorite) records. This is why I believe you have to engage with a record rather than expect it to be immediately pleasurable on the first listen. Maybe one that doesn't hit you right away will turn out to be one you love.

Anyways, one of my favorite tunes from the record is still "Come Pick Me Up". One of the reasons I love it is because it uses the F-bomb so well. I usually am not a fan of cursing in lyrics. Sometimes I feel like its use is merely to cover up the writers lack of creativity of expressing an emotion, but Mr. Adams uses it perfectly. Peep these lyrics.

Come pick me up
Take me out
Fuck me up
Steal my records
Screw all my friends behind my back
With a smile on your face
And then do it again

I don't know what happened to Ryan, but he got messed up by a chick. Enjoy...


2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Man, it angers me that they gotta bleep out his f-bomb. I don't like to throw this word around, cause it's so overused. But it really is such hypocrisy. American TV doesn't give a damn for morality, but they can't let people be real when they sing.