Monday, July 23, 2007

Strange...but good

I watched this video and thought to myself "Which of these is different from the other?" At first I thought this funny, but then I realized this kind of thinking is what defeats good artists from being exposed to the general population. It made me realize that maybe I am a little bit snobby with my musical tastes. I apologize for this, but it is a strange site to see "Miss Misery" sandwiched in between "How do I Love" and "My Heart Will Go On", but it is rather neat. I guess good song writing will be recognized as good song writing no matter what.

Although, I don't know how much I believe this. Especially with the way America (I say America because I am American and only really want to speak from that point of view) treats the music industry. We do not treat music as art. Now I could dabble in the stealing of music, but seeing as a lot of people think art should be free it would be an opinionated argument. The evidence for this view as music as entertainment rather than art is reflected by what is popular.

Well what is popular you ask? I don't know we could look at one of the top selling records of 2006, which would be the soundtrack to High School Musical. Well whats the problem with that? The problem is I highly doubt anyone bought that record expecting to experience a piece of art, but rather it was purchased for comfort. Those melodies and harmonies sound so nice in the ear. The melodies and words are simple and catchy enough to sing along to. Its quite comforting really. There's nothing that is really going to challenge you to think. Just sit back press play and listen.

I know some people say there is nothing wrong with this. There really isn't. I'm not saying it makes someone a better person to listen to music to experience art, but the thing is if someone were to listen to a record to experience a piece of art they actually may get more enjoyment out of an album rather than just using it to pass the time while driving a car, walking somewhere, or on an airplane.

I challenge everyone who reads this (which again is Ian and I think my home slice in PA J-Sweeze) to pick out a record that many people consider to be a great record, or a record by a great artist and take the time to sit and listen. Don't do it while doing something else take the time to sit back and listen. You know what listen to it a couple times. Focus on different elements each time. Maybe the first time just get the general flavor. The second time pull up the lyrics and read them a couple times and then listen. Maybe listen to what is sonically going on (listen for nuances). Maybe listen for the melodies.

What is my album for this week to listen to? John Lennon's Imagine. Happy listening!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What seems to be at the base of your suggestion though is the assumption that what other people enjoy, "popular music" is "less than". While it may not challenge you to think, you should still be open to the idea that it may do just that for others. For every person who loves/appreciates Lennon's Imagine there may be another kid who is inspired by a completely different genre/type of music and all that is important is that that person connects with the music and that it speaks to them. What the music is shouldn't matter as much as that connection. While I myself may not enjoy NASCAR I would never go so far as to suggest that it is "less than" museums or other activities I might enjoy on the weekends because that would be assuming and suggesting that I know better and is somewhat elitist. Musical taste and judgement, like life itself, is entirely subjective and that is what makes it all interesting.

PJ said...

I think you missed the point entirely anonymous. I never once talked about popular music at all. Imagine in all accounts was a pop record that was extremely popular at the time. I didn't discuss genre's either. I discussed the idea of listening to music as pure entertainment and listening to music as an artistic experience. If you like what is popular today thats great, but don't get defensive.

Anonymous said...

"Well what is popular you ask? I don't know we could look at one of the top selling records of 2006, which would be the soundtrack to High School Musical. Well whats the problem with that? The problem is I highly doubt anyone bought that record expecting to experience a piece of art, but rather it was purchased for comfort. Those melodies and harmonies sound so nice in the ear. The melodies and words are simple and catchy enough to sing along to. Its quite comforting really. There's nothing that is really going to challenge you to think. Just sit back press play and listen."

You did indeed speak of "popular music"...and it seems to me that you suggest that it is "less than" as it is purchased for "comfort" rather than being
"challenging" or making you "think". Just suggesting that we reconsider the way that we think of music and people's interaction with it is all. What may not make you "think" or challenge you may be just the thing that does for someone else. Sorry for the confusion. Was just trying to offer an alternative point of view and spark some discussion. Interesting post!

PJ said...

Hmm...you know what I think the thing is that I have personally seen the fruits of experiencing music as art and therefore get frustrated with people who don't want to do that. But you are right my way is not the best way, but I'm sure when I write it comes off like that.

I do think High School Musical needs to stop...immediately.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean??? "We're All in This Together" is a work of musical genius....I would definitely compare it to Imagine. Have you ever listened to those lyrics:
Together, together, together everyone
Together, together, come on lets have some fun
Together, were there for each other every time
Together together come on lets do this right

AND I heard there is a High School Musical 2 coming out...buckle your seat belts folks!

Unknown said...

I don't think whether or not music makes you think is the only thing that matters. I think the raw connection is every bit as legitimate. But I don't think it therefore follows that no such thing as a real presence or absence of actual quality exists. And I do still think you could fairly say that the person who intentionally takes pains to appreciate music enjoys it more deeply than the one who simply has it on in the background or to ward off the silence -- in the same way that a person who savors the food or the wine in his/her mouth and takes the time to allow the flavors to tingle and swirl enjoys it more than the one who wolfs it down before work, or simply because he/she is in the bad habit of doing so. And in that sense, the former is an objectively better way, though, ironically, still in an entirely subjective way.
And in so doing, I think you discover what and where real quality is (and not in any easily definable or measurable way), whether in the form of challenging you to think (very western - neither bad or good, and one which I appreciate very much, but nonetheless, undeniably western), or a in the form of a simple raw connection, or whatever else.