Sunday, August 12, 2007

Love at First Feel

Mark Kozelek...freaking Mark Kozelek. When I heard this man sing it was Love at First Feel. Mr. Kozelek has been quietly (I use this trite phrase because I am a piss poor writer and he hasn't gotten any radio play to my knowledge) releasing records since the early nineties under different monikers, such as Red House Painters, his own name, and currently Sun Kil Moon. All three groups share the delicate intimate song writing and haunting tenor, sounding confident like a high school jock on the game day and vulnerable like the kid who got in the jocks way who now is in his own locker.

I first fell in love with Mark when I spent hours and hours bumming music off a friends laptop. I came upon a band named Sun Kil Moon and thought what an interesting name. When I first listened I was blown away by a tune by the name of Glen Tipton. That was the gateway to my obsession with Mark Kozelek.

The point of this blog was to talk about my latest Mark Kozelek experience and that is with his record "What's Next To The Moon". When you listen to it you think its Mark doing what he does best, making heartbreak sound beautiful. I listened to it real late at night so I let the beautiful melodies just fall on me as I closed my eyes. I woke up this morning and decided to investigate (via All Music). I discovered this a record that contains all AC/DC covers. Really?? The same band that released tunes such as "Shook me all Night Long" and "Big Balls". This is coming from Mark Kozelek who released an album called Songs For a Blue Guitar. One word that doesn't exactly exist in the english language but for all purposes should: stokedness. I listened to the AC/DC version of "Love at First Feel" this morning via a you tube video, which featured some anime (whats the deal with songs always being set to anime). Since I don't feel like posting the video on the blog, here is the link. I will research how to post mp3s, but for now just go listen to Sun Kil Moon.

No comments: