Saturday, September 15, 2007

Technology/Imagery

I'm shooting from the hip here...so be ready! I was asked for a class to respond to a poems "concrete imagery" and it was a poem that basically presented the image of a wet red wheel barrow surrounded by chickens. This made me think that even though I've never seen this exact image I still can imagine it by putting together to memories or pictures in my brain to make the image that the author is going for, but what happens when I can't because I have never experienced a wheel barrow or a chicken? This may seem far fetched but this soon will become a reality for many people of this world.

I once heard this little factoid about how soon (like the year 2050) most of the world will live in cities and a very very tiny population will inhabit everything else. Will the kids in the cities know a wheel barrow? Will they know a chicken? I'm betting not. I'm betting if I walked out of this New York City Starbucks and found a child they would not have experienced a wheel barrow or a chicken.

I know what your thinking: "Okay PJ great we are losing wheel barrows and chickens who gives a flying burrito?" I kind of do! Here's why because when I write songs I absolutely detest referencing any current technology. How lame would it be for a serious songwriter to reference an iPod. When I use the phrase serious songwriter I am not referring to Fergie or any other of the like (especially not the idiot who wrote Umbrella...sorry it gets me heated). So if we lose the wheel barrow culture what do we have left? Probably a lot. This might have been a waste of your time and mine (for you to read, for me to write), but I never want someone to listen to a tune I wrote and not be able to grasp it because they have no idea what the heck a telephone or a television is because (I strongly believe) in the future we will just have chips in our minds that will play music in our heads and play videos on the back of our eyelids and we can talk to people with that chip in our head. This scares me greatly!

Listening to: Elvis Costello - The Delivery Man

2 comments:

Ian said...

i wouldn't worry about it too much: http://curbed.com/archives/2007/09/13/bpc_turkey_owns_the_freakin_playground_too.php

also, i saw a couple chickens when i got locked in the cemetery on saturday.

as to farms... http://www.verticalfarm.com/

the question isn't so much who will inhabit the cities fifty years from now as it is what will the cities look like fifty years from now? this is assuming that things like global warming and terrorism haven't caused us all to disperse again...

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.